The Orne (オーン Ōn) is a new monster introduced in Kid Icarus: Uprising. It was first shown in the original game trailer next to a Belunka, having what appears to be many skulls of different colors within its wide mouth. It is one of the most dangerous enemies in the game, as simply touching it results in instant death.
The Orne appears to be a carrier of lost souls, all of which emanate from its gaping jaw when opened wide. The creature itself resembles a human skull, although far more demonic in appearance, having a multitude of spider-like eyes and large horns around its head and jawbone. The creature is also bluish green in coloration and glows with a neon fire, giving it an unusually colorful appearance despite its ghastly nature. The Orne doesn't have any attacks, but will screech at Pit to try and intimidate him as it slowly floats towards Pit. The true danger is that the monster's body can deplete his health completely by simply touching him, causing an instant death. They are also invincible most of the time, but will disappear if Pit runs far away from them. An ominous 8-bit tune will play whenever an Orne is nearby.
Ornes are large and extremely dangerous foes. One touch from them means instant defeat for the player, and Ornes themselves cannot be defeated by normal means, except the ones in Medusa's Final Battle and Lord of the Underworld, in which Pit can destroy them by using the Arrow of Light (their only known weakness) while equipped with the Three Sacred Treasures. They first appear during The Reaper's Line of Sight. Some Ornes only appear on a higher Intensity depending on the level (for example, two Ornes circle a Shemum Jar in The Reaper's Line of Sight, but only on specific Intensities).
These vengeful ghosts seem to be formed from concentrated misery and regret. All who come into contact with Orne have their minds shattered, with death following shortly thereafter. They are attracted to the life force of their enemies.
Ornes appear in the 3DS version as an enemy in the Smash Run. They cause instant death upon contact. They always appear in the normal Survive! challenge door.
This creepy ghost, covered in fire, first appear in Kid Icarus: Uprising. If it shows up nearby, you'll hear an eerie 8-bit music and get chased. Don't even think about fighting it—it's invincible and will instantly KO you if it touches you. Just run!
- Ornes appear to be named after the word, ornery, which means "ill-tempered".
- Ornes are the only enemies aside from Reapers that play 8-bit music when they've spotted Pit, although this tune seems to have been created exclusively for Uprising.
- Ornes are one of the only two enemies that can cause instant-death, the other being the Tempura Wizard.
- Most Ornes actually follow a predetermined path. If the player stands back and observes, they can get by without getting close. Some Ornes, however, actually follow Pit.
- Once the player passes a section with an Orne from in a level, that Orne will not appear again unless the player is defeated (and have to replay the area that the Orne is in) or if they replay the level.