3D Classics: Kid Icarus
|3D Classics: Kid Icarus|
|Shin Hikari Shinwa: Parutena no Kagami|
3D Classics: Kid Icarus is a downloadable video game for the Nintendo 3DS system, available for purchase through the Nintendo eShop. In Europe, it costs £5.40/€6.00 to download, but the game was made available for free to Club Nintendo members that bought any two of thirteen eligible Nintendo 3DS games within an allotted timespace, and registered them through the European Club Nintendo service. Most of the eligible games were first party Nintendo titles. 
While for the most part, 3D Classics: Kid Icarus makes few changes to Kid Icarus, there are a few exceptions to this.
- At either side of the gameplay, a new border has been added.
- The addition of backgrounds for the file select screen and for every level, which replaces the darkness from the original versions.
- While the game is graphically unchanged, players have the option to play the game in stereoscopic, glasses-free 3D.
- Additionally, there is an in-game options screen that allows players to adjust the controls, the intensity of the 3D and watch the credits*
- The game has a new title screen, and a new music track as with previous 3D Classics games, all of which were co-developed by Arika.
- The game has a new pause screen, displayed on the 3DS's touchscreen, which oddly, is disabled from usage on this menu. The new pause menu has two options; Continue, and Reset.
- The addition of a "Records" menu which notes the player's best score for every playthrough.
Much like the original Legend of Zelda, there is now a registration screen that holds up to three save files. This completely eliminates the need for passwords, as the quest can be continued simply by selecting the save file. "Pit"'s name is now determined by the registration name and characters such as Zeus will refer to Pit as the name used for registration instead (unfortunately, this causes the text to overlap the poor god). The file will auto-save at the end of each stage. There is no option for password entry anymore.
The music is kept intact, but many sound effects have changed, such as Pit's "hurt" noise and the Harp's "ticking". Certain jingles, such as the "stage end" theme, have been enhanced.
Each stage now sports a new background that slowly scrolls as Pit moves through the stage. The sprite graphics themselves are the same, but there are a few minor changes, such as Chamber doors now having shadows. Pit no longer disappears behind objects, such as bushes or statues, but now travels in front of them to enhance the 3D effect. A few areas have new graphics such as the foreground grass in the Overworld. The sliding spikes in Fortress have had their "segments" cleaned up, so now it looks like one continuous spike. The Torch now has a brown flame, rather than purple. The end credits take place over sepia-tone, "tablet-like" screenshots of Pit traveling through the three worlds.
Due to the progression of the backgrounds (Overworld starts off sunny and turns to night, Skyworld starts off dark and starry, turns to daylight, Palace in the Sky is at night again), it seems that Kid Icarus takes place over a two-day period.
- Reapers no longer turn around to investigate when they've been shot in the back, they'll continue on their path as if nothing happened.
- Sacred Words do not appear during a Game Over. Instead, there's a Continue/End option.
- Controls can now be completely customized with the 3DS' button layout. Also, the default weapon switch (from Bow to Mallet) is now "Y" instead of "Select".
- Extra life bars now come with full health for that bar when they are earned.
- Since there is no Controller 2, the Intimidation trick for Stores is now done by pressing the A and Start buttons simultaneously.
- There is no longer a half-second pause when Pit exits Chambers.
- Pit's arrows extend a little farther into thin platforms, so Pit can damage monsters who are walking on certain thin platforms (such as ice or the orange platforms in Fortresses) above him. This makes for very different, and potentially easier, tactical decisions in some areas.
- In a large departure from the original version, there is no "New Game +" feature. Normally, Pit automatically restarts at 1-1 with everything he had when Medusa was beaten. Now, he restarts at 1-1 with absolutely nothing, as if the game puts in the password for 1-1 and not just continuing the game (see last paragraph of Gameplay in Kid Icarus).
- ニンテンドー3DS｜3Dクラシックス 光神話 パルテナの鏡｜Nintendo (in Japanese)
- 3D Classics Kid Icarus is a pre-order bonus for Uprising - Joystiq
- Free 3D Classics Kid Icarus game when you register your purchases - Nintendo.co.uk
|Kid Icarus series|
|Main Series||Kid Icarus • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters • Kid Icarus: Uprising|
|Remakes||3D Classics: Kid Icarus|
|Related Games||Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U|
|Related Media||Captain N: The Game Master • Kid Icarus 3D Anime|
|Key People||Toru Osawa • Yoshio Sakamoto • Masahiro Sakurai • Hirokazu Tanaka • Gunpei Yokoi|