Super Smash Bros. Brawl
|Super Smash Bros. Brawl|
|Dairantou Smash Brothers X|
Super Smash Bros. Brawl, known in Japan as Dairantou Smash Brothers X (大乱闘スマッシュブラザーズ Dairantō Sumasshu Burazāzu Ekkusu), often abbreviated as "SSBB" or "Brawl", is the third installment in the Super Smash Bros. series published by Nintendo and developed by HAL Laboratory. This game features Pit as a playable character, a first since the November 1991 release of Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters.
Pit's special attacks
Pit is a balanced, medium-weight character in the game. His attacks generally have low knockback, leaving his strategy to revolve around range and hit-and-run tactics, with a decent focus on defense and high recovery. Many of his moves are based off of the Three Sacred Treasures.
- Neutral Special - Palutena's Arrow: Pit's basic ranged attack deals minor damage and knockback, but these parameters increase if the button is held down. The arrow can be aimed, but charging the attack causes it to fly faster and thus becomes more difficult to guide. Unlike the traditional Arrow of Light, this doesn't pierce through targets.
- Side Special - Angel Ring: Pit spins his twin swords in front of him like a buzz-saw. Pit can maintain this move indefinitely and it also reflects projectiles, but he can't move while performing it.
- Up Special - Wings of Icarus: This grants Pit limited flight, making it one of the best recovery moves in the game; Pit can almost always recover using this move unless he's blasted off the screen. Unfortunately, this move leaves him defenseless while in flight, and being hit cancels it. Inspired by and based on, but not to be confused with the Wings of Pegasus.
- Down Special - Mirror Shield: Pit drops into a crouch and pulls out a reflective mirror shield. It reflects all projectiles that hits it. Physical contact with the shield inflicts minor damage, but it's best used to counter ranged attacks.
- Palutena's Army: Pit summons a small army of Centurions to attack all enemies on screen. The Centurions will rush at their targets and attempt to slam into them. Though other players can move during the attack, the Centurions will follow the characters. The opponents can attack the Centurions as well, possibly defeating them. Once the grunt aims to hit a foe, regardless if successful or not, he then dies.
Kid Icarus stages
Super Smash Bros. Brawl features one stage drawn from the Kid Icarus franchise, this being Skyworld. The stage consists of several clouds holding destructible stone platforms on top of them. In the background, a large statue of Palutena is featured.
Kid Icarus music
Super Smash Bros. Brawl features four music tracks that originate from the Kid Icarus games, those being;
- Title (Kid Icarus)
- Kid Icarus Original Medley
Note some of these tracks are variations of the original themes and not the themes themselves.
Role in The Subspace Emissary
In the game's story mode, The Subspace Emissary, Pit is a playable character. Pit first appears viewing a match between Mario and Kirby from Skyworld. Once Primids appear and attack the stadium, Palutena appears and gives Pit the Palutena Bow, and then Pit sets off to rescue those that were attacked and deal with the Subspace Army. He soon encounters Mario and joins with him to defeat the Subspace Army.
Later, the duo encounters Link and Yoshi, and depending on the order of events, the next scene plays out differently. If Zelda was rescued at the beginning of the adventure, Pit and Mario will have to fight her before Link and Yoshi. If Peach was rescued at the beginning of the adventure, Link and Yoshi fight her before fighting Pit and Mario. After their match, the two teams join up along with Kirby and continue their adventure.
- Pit will occasionally say, "I'm done for...", as his death cry.
- When Pit picks up a Hammer or Golden Hammer, his animation is noticeably done in an 8-bit style, likely a reference to the original Kid Icarus as he swung the mallets in a similar motion. Even his jumps have the exact same look. This remains intact in Super Smash Bros. 4.
- The song labeled Skyworld is actually a remix of the theme from the Overworld.
|Kid Icarus series|
|Main Series||Kid Icarus • Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters • Kid Icarus: Uprising|
|Remakes||3D Classics: Kid Icarus|
|Related Games||Super Smash Bros. Brawl • Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate|
|Related Media||Captain N: The Game Master • Kid Icarus 3D Anime|
|Key People||Toru Osawa • Yoshio Sakamoto • Masahiro Sakurai • Hirokazu Tanaka • Gunpei Yokoi|